High Voltage Power Supplies
Mega-Spark 6 & 16 kJ
Modular architecture Pulsed Power Supplies for deep water applications.
CUTTING EDGE PULSED POWER TECHNOLOGY
The Mega-Spark 6 & 16 kJ are revolutionary high voltage (HV) power supplies based on cutting-edge ‘pulsed power’ technology. The systems use an extremely reliable, state-of-the-art thyristor switch that can generate very short (100 - 200 µs) high voltage pulses of up to 20 kA (6 kJ) / 45 kA(16 kJ) at -5.6 kV.
NEGATIVE ELECTRIC DISCHARGE PULSE
There is no other unit commercially available that allows you to generate a negative high voltage pulse with such a high dI/dt ratio.
NO ELECTRICAL OSCILLATIONS
The pulse output has NO electrical oscillations, which affect the acoustic signature. The integrated capacitor banks contain 12 (6 kJ) or 32 (16 kJ) indestructible 32 μF capacitors rated for more than 200 million discharges.
For example, a one second discharge rate would give continuous work for six YEARS.
QUALITY BUILT TO LAST
The pulsed power supplies are built to last, electronically and mechanically. The housing
and frame consist of anodised aluminum and stainless steel 316. Rubber shock absorbers support all the vibration-sensitive components inside the housing.
All connections, command buttons, switches and status LEDs are front-mounted to ensure direct safe access and intuitive operation.
The systems comprise four main types of modules, configured to customer’s needs:
control unit, containing the thyristor stack and
main control system;
low voltage pulse unit;
high voltage transformer/rectifier unit;
6 kJ: 3 capacitor banks of 2x64 μF each
16 kJ: 8 capacitor banks of 2x64 μF each.
Remote triggering of the unit is implemented by a TTL pulse, which is internally converted into a fibre-optic signal to the thyristor trigger device. There is no need for any external opto-isolator on the trigger line. During standby between survey lines, the unit will NOT trip - it will slowly bleed off but will remain ready for the next line.
LOW POWER CONSUMPTION
The Geo-Spark 6 kJ & 16 kJ systems can be operated from a 380 V/32 A mains socket or from a 380 V/10 kVA generator, and do not draw excessive peak currents.
- ⟶ 6 kJ module: typically used with Geo-Source 800 sparker in water depths from 2 to 2500 m both in combination with multi-channel or single channel data acquisition.
- ⟶ 16 kJ module: designed for the Geo-Source 1600 mega-sparker with proven operation in water depth of 5000 m.
- ⟶ Both PPS models can also power all smaller sparkers models, including the Geo-Source 200 and 400 freshwater sparkers.
- ⟶ Selectable operating voltage (from -2000 V to -5600 V) and capacitance (6 kJ: selectable from 64 µF to 384 µF / 16 kJ: selectable from 64 µF to 1024 µF).
- ⟶ No electrical oscillations.
- ⟶ User-friendly & 100% safe.
- ⟶ All subunits can be hand-carried.
- - Site & route surveys
- - Offshore engineering
- - Mineral exploration
- - Oceanographic research
20 - 240 VAC (16A) / 5.5 kVA generator
380 - 440 VAC (3P+N+G) / 15 kVA generator
- Energy output selectable from 100 to 16000 J
- Operational depth up to 5000 m
- HV charging capability 5000 J / sec
Other remarkable features
Indestructible 25 kA -5.6 kV discharge Thyristor
Very high dI/dT, NO electrical oscillations
Fully ground-referenced, 100 % safe
Humidity and Temperature protection
State-of-the-art micro-processor based control and monitoring system
- Recommended source Geo-Source 800